Labor Day Monday: Open at 11 am, then the Dog Days of Summer starts from 7-8 pm! Bring your dogs for the last swim of the year!
USE AND RULES: (Rules last revised May 2016)
The Downs community pool is open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Hours of operation are typically 11:00 am until 8:00 pm daily and 11:00 am until 9:00 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. For weekdays only, beginning the Tuesday after Memorial Day through the last day that Anne Arundel public schools are open in June, hours are 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Operating costs for the pool come from your DPOA dues.
1. Use of the pool is restricted to members in good standing of the Downs Property Owners Association, family members residing with a DPOA member, non-resident family members, tenants and guests, subject to County limitations of the number of swimmers per lifeguard. Guests and non-resident family members must be accompanied by a member at all times. Members will be responsible for the actions of their children, guests, and non-resident family members.
2. The lifeguards are in charge of the pool area and are responsible for the enforcement and interpretation of these rules. Please remember that the lifeguards are here to protect swimmers and are empowered to use their discretion for the safety of our children. The lifeguards have the authority to suspend any person who violates the rules.
3. A parent or guardian must closely watch children at all times and must accompany a non-swimmer in the water at all times. Children ages 9 through 12 may use the pool unaccompanied by an adult, provided the child passes a swimming test given by one of the lifeguards. Parents will be notified regarding any inappropriate behavior of their children. Lifeguards will report all incidents to the DPOA's managing agent.
4. For the purpose of supporting non-swimmers, inner tubes, water wings and all other flotation devices are not permitted at any time. For safety purposes, only a life vest approved by the United States Coast Guard is to be used. If a child uses such a life vest, a parent or guardian must accompany the child in the water at all times.
5. Swim diapers, or tight-fitting rubber pants, must be worn by all children who are not toilet trained. In the event of fecal contamination, the pool will be closed in accordance with Anne Arundel County Health Department regulations.
6. Only one person is allowed on the diving board at a time.
7. Prolonged underwater swimming, breath-holding or games involving such behavior is prohibited.
8. One adult lap lane will be available at all times. Children under 16 are not allowed in the lap lane.
9. Patrons and swimmers should be considerate of others. Loud music is prohibited. Foul language will not be tolerated.
10. Food or alcoholic beverages are permitted in the pool area, but nothing in glass containers. Trash cans are provided for your use, please be considerate of others and throw away your trash. Picnic tables are also provided for your use on the patio.
11. Running and horseplay are prohibited in the pool area, as are bikes, roller blades, scooters and skateboards.
12. The pool will be closed at the first lightning or sound of thunder and will remain closed for 30 minutes after all thunder and lightning stops. This is a Maryland State law.
13. When the lifeguards call adult swim, children under 16 must leave the pool.
14. Giving private swim lessons, to Downs residents only, must have prior DPOA Board approval. Proper certification must be given to the Board at the time of the request, and times must be approved.
15. The pool phone is for emergency use only.
16. The pool is not available for use or rent outside of regular operating hours, except by the Downs swim team for official events. Any such events require DPOA Board approval.
17. Small parties, such as children’s birthday parties, are permitted, but the total number of participants should be limited to 20. The Downs pool manager must be notified in advance to ensure that adequate lifeguard coverage is available. A party request form, available from the lifeguards, should be completed and returned to the lifeguard at least two weeks prior to the event. If the picnic area will be used as well, confirm availability with the Clubhouse coordinator.
18. The picnic area is available for pool patron use when not reserved for other functions. As a courtesy to everyone, users should pick up and remove their trash.
19. Unauthorized people entering the fenced area around the pool when it is closed will be considered trespassers and will be prosecuted.